has a grand history that begins in 1896, when its founder Anton Miksche
emigrated from Austria to New York, then Chicago, Stearns County, and finally
to Wahpeton of the Dakota Territory. More than a century later, the hotel,
store, restaurant and bar and bar has seen seven generations of Miksches
who spoke Swedish, Norwegian, German and Polish, traded goods with the
Sioux and Chippewa and outlasted Prohibition and the Great Depression.
Now in the hands of Tom and Peggy Materi along with their son, Cuyler, they intend to “recreate the Old World Charm and rekindle the memories of good times past.”
Check out our Press: